Gun Control Cartoon

Gun Control Cartoon

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Jessica's Take Action

Jessica's Ideas
The debate on Gun Control is very important to me. There are far too many people are being killed. When I first began to think about gun laws I was very confused. I knew Gun Control was something that was very important to me, but I questioned myself, "how could a small town girl make an impact on Gun Control?"
At my University I serve as a Senator on Student Govenment Association (SGA). In the last few years when Gun Control became an important topic in the country, after more and more mass shootings were occuring, SGA decided to make sure the voices of our campus community would be heard. The organization as a whole was unable to take a stand on this issues because we have to remain neutral. As a organization we decided to have postcards where members of the University would be able to write to their elected officals about why there should be Gun Control Laws or why not? On certain days I would sit at a table in different areas of campus and encourage students to write a postcard. By encouraging students in the campus community to write postcards it showed me the importance of how one person may not be able to make a difference, but when we come to together to take a stand it makes all the difference in the world.
As time passes and there are still issues occring in the country as a result of gun violence I think it would be a great idea to bring this idea of having students write postcards to elected officals. In doing this it shows that gun violence is a topic that is very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment